- Literacy and Learning
- Sport and Healthy Living
- Volunteerism and Spirit of BC
Literacy Now Communities program
Strengthening community literacy
The Literacy Now Communities program guides communities through a planning process to identify local literacy needs, and create and implement a literacy action plan. The program was created by 2010 Legacies Now in 2004, with support from the Province of British Columbia. Since then, the program has grown to include more than 100 task groups improving literacy in more than 400 BC communities and neighbourhoods. In June 2011, 2010 Legacies Now will transfer ownership of Literacy Now Communities to Decoda Literacy Solutions where it will continue to benefit communities as a legacy of the 2010 Winter Games.
Building community networks and partnerships
The Literacy Now Communities planning process builds community networks, partnerships and relationships to support community literacy and literacy programming across British Columbia. The Literacy Now Communities planning process:
- Assists communities to pool and build financial and human resources to address local literacy challenges;
- Identifies a network of community leaders across the province who can support communities in their literacy work;
- Provides a provincial overview of emerging issues, trends and potential solutions;
- Helps communities to increase and maintain the literacy skills of individual community members.assists communities to pool and build financial and human resources to address literacy issues;
The Literacy Now Communities planning process is outlined the Community Literacy Planning Guide, a resource guide developed by 2010 Legacies Now. This easy-to-read, practical resource guide takes you through the community literacy planning process from getting started to implementing the action plan you have created.
Learn more about literacy resources in BC.
Read completed community literacy plans from around BC.
View Community Windows, a series of short videos looking at how BC communities are working to address local literacy challenges.
The Literacy Now Communities program is supported by the Province of BC.