- Literacy and Learning
- Sport and Healthy Living
- Volunteerism and Spirit of BC
Local Sport Program Development Fund
Community funding to expand sport in BC
The Local Sport Program Development Fund makes community sport more accessible to people of all abilities by providing funding support to sport programs initiated by municipalities, sport organizations and Aboriginal communities.
Community engagement through sport
The Local Sport Program Development Fund supports community projects aimed at improving access to sport and recreation activities in all regions of BC. Sports funding through Local Sport Program Development Fund is directed to municipalities, sport organizations and Aboriginal communities to initiate new, or expand existing, sport programs. Since 2008, the Local Sport Program Development Fund has invested more than $250,000 in 69 communities to engage over 8,600 people in community sport.
The Local Sport Program Development Fund creates thousands of new opportunities for people of all ages to enjoy the benefits of healthy living. Community projects that received support through fund include:
- Wachiay Friendship Centre initiated a six-week basketball program and a family dinner in Courtenay to create a safe and supportive place for Aboriginal youth to meet and learn new skills.
- Delta Gymnastics and the Tsawwassen First Nations Recreation Center developed a pilot gymnastics program to be delivered on-site at the reserve.
- In Alert Bay, a community ball hockey league was started, with sports funding put towards the purchase of needed equipment and training for coaching and first aid volunteers.
- In Kelowna, Arion Therapeutic Riding developed a therapeutic riding program for children with disabilities so they could experience this recognized healing recreational activity.
We are not accepting applications at this time.
For more information on the Local Sport Program Development Fund, please contact .
The Local Sport Program Development Fund is supported by the Province of BC through the Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development.